Tuesday, 10 July 2012
I’m going home! As I type this, I am sitting on a plane from
London to Atlanta. Today has been yet another interesting day. Travel days
always are. Sometimes there interesting in good ways, but most times, there
just stressful.
The day started at 7:00 because I wanted to give myself
plenty of time to get up and ready and recheck all of my bags. When I weighed
my bags one last time, they were both under 50 pounds, so I that got my day off
to a good start. Then we headed down to breakfast for a quick bite before
bringing all of our stuff downstairs.
![]() |
| All of my luggage |
I figure that when you combine all of my bags, I probably
have around 150 pounds in luggage, so getting all that stuff down from the
fourth floor was a bit of a challenge, especially since not all of it could fit
in the elevator at one time. But after several trips, we finally got everything
downstairs. We then checked out and lugged all of our suitcases and backpacks
outside to wait for the taxi because once again, we didn’t want to go through
the tube with everything. The taxi came and picked us up and took us to
Paddington Station, where we were able to catch the Heathrow Express.
My friend’s flight was at 12:15, so we got to the airport
around 10:30 so she could check in and get to her gate. I’ve never had a problem
with checking in early in America, but evidently they do things a bit
differently in Europe. Since my flight wasn’t until 3:05, I wasn’t allowed to
check in until 12:05, three hours before. So I was officially stranded in the
airport with all 150 pounds worth of my stuff. Fortunately, I was able to find wifi,
so I was able to get on the internet and some things taken care of while I
waited.
When I was finally able to check in, I was pleasantly
surprised. When I had checked in online the day before, I decided to spend the
money to upgrade from economy to economy plus for the wider seats and extra leg
room. But that was all I was expecting. When I got to the desk to drop off my
luggage and collect my boarding pass, I was informed that the airline had upgraded
me to business class. I was really excited because I saw the business class on
the flight over, and it looked really comfortable. On top of the amenities on
the plane, my ticket got me into the British Airways Lounge in Heathrow, so I
was able to relax in comfort for the two hours before my flight.
![]() |
| Traveling in comfort |
Around 2:15, I headed down to my gate and got on the plane.
Let me tell you, business class is way better than economy – I may never want
to travel in economy ever again, at least internationally. The seats are large
and comfortable. They recline and can even lay flat if you choose. And best of
all, they have a foot rest, which is good because my feet hurt after weeks and
weeks of walking.
Take off was supposed to be at 3:05, but that time came and
went without us moving from the gate. Not only was storming in London, but
there were really bad storms right in the flight path. As the pilot explained
it, there were only a few tiny pockets of good flying space in between the
storm cells, so air traffic control was only letting a few planes go at a time
so that small space wouldn’t get congested. It took over two hours to get
clearance to take over. We finally departed at 5:15, two hours and ten minutes
after we were scheduled to have departed.
Right now, I’m a bit concerned that I’m going to miss my
flight from Atlanta to Memphis. My flight to Atlanta is at 10:00. If we hadn’t
been delayed, we would have landed at 7:10, which would have given me plenty of
time to get everything done because the way I chose to do things make it a bit
difficult. Instead of flying the whole route with the same airline, I’m
actually traveling with two: British Airways and Delta. This is because the
British Airways flight is the flight that everyone from the group went on to
get to London and I wanted to be with the group. But because I don’t live close
to Atlanta, I had to get there somehow, so I flew there with Delta. But because
I’m on two different airlines, my luggage doesn’t get taken from one plane to
the other at the layover. Instead, I have to collect my luggage, take it to the
other airline, check it in there, get back to security, and get to my gate. I
did it just fine coming over, but my plane was only a few minutes that time, so
I had plenty of time for everything. But because we left so late today, we
aren’t scheduled to land until 8:45. I’m really afraid that I’m not going to
have enough to get through customs, do the whole luggage thing, and make it to
my flight on time. I have a feeling that I’m probably going to be running
through the Atlanta airport.
UPDATE: We didn’t end up landing until in Atlanta until
9:20, and then it took another fifteen minutes to find a gate and park. By
then, I was completely freaking out because I knew there was absolutely no way
I was going to make my flight to Memphis at 10:00. After being away from home
for two months, all I wanted was to be home. But that didn’t look likely. I was
either going to have to find another flight or stay in a hotel and fly out in
the morning. Luckily, when I turned on my phone, I was greeted by a text from
my father, who said my flight to Memphis was delayed until 11:30. That meant I
had enough time to get through customs, collect my bags, recheck them, and get
to the gate. Everything on that front went smoothly; even my bags cooperated –
they were both 50 pounds exactly! When I got to the gate though, I was informed
that the flight had been further delayed until 12:00. And now we’re not
scheduled to depart until 12:15. It’s great to be back in America, but now all
I want is my own bed.


No comments:
Post a Comment