Friday, 6 July 2012
| Replica of the David |
Friday morning, I woke up a bit early because I knew that I
wanted to see the David. The Galleria dell’Accademia has notoriously long lines
– averaging about an hour to two hour wait – so I knew that I needed to get
there in the morning. Fortunately, when I got there, I found out that I could
go to a bookshop down the street and buy tickets there. For an extra €3, I was
able to buy my ticket then and walk straight into the museum without standing
in line – definitely worth it. I thought that maybe since I’d seen the full
sized replica of the David the day before, the real thing wouldn’t be all that
different, but I was wrong. The original is much more impressive than any
replica ever could be. An adjective often attached to Michelangelo is ‘genius,’
which is absolutely accurate. His work is so meticulous that his statues look
like really large, stone humans. He leaves nothing out. For example, on the
David, you can see the veins rippling in David’s arms. The level of detail is
absolutely astonishing. The picture I've included is the replica of the David that stands in the Piazza Della Signoria because I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the Accademia.
| The Belltower |
| View of the Dome and Florence |
After the David, I headed over to the Piazza del Duomo,
which houses probably the most recognizable building in Florence, the Cathedral
of Santa Maria del Fiore, better known as the Duomo. Its name comes from the
massive dome that dominates the church. The Duomo is probably my favorite
building in all of Florence – it is absolutely stunning. I had planned on going
into the church, but when I got there around 9:45, fifteen minutes before the
church even opened, the line was already wrapped around the building, and it
stayed that way all day. So I just walked over to the bell-tower that is right
next to the church. After a climb of 414 steps, I got a breathtaking view of
Florence and a beautiful close up view of the dome next door.
| Statue of Michelangelo |
From the Duomo, I walked over to the Palazzo degli Uffizi to
take some pictures. The Palazzo is lined by statues of great Florentine
thinkers, such as Dante, Galileo, Machiavelli, and Michelangelo. That didn’t
take too long, so I walked back over to the Duomo, grabbed some gelato, and
hung out on the steps to wait for my friend, who chose to sleep a bit longer
rather than see the David and climb the bell tower.
Once she made it to the Duomo, we headed over to Leonardo
Leather to buy some leather goods. Luckily, it was the shop I was thinking of,
so I was happy because I really wanted to go back there. I even got a discount
because I meantioned that I had come to the shop two years ago with EF Tours.
Also, we met another American there, who was from Minnesota. I heard him
talking and asked him where he was from, and he said he was from the States. I
thought maybe he was studying in Florence, but it turns out that about a year
or two ago, he decided to just pick up and move to Florence without knowing any
Italian besides ‘ciao.’ I admire him because as much as I love Florence, I
don’t think I could leave America and its culture behind, especially without
being able to speak the language.
| With the Porcellino |
Once we bought our leather goods, we headed over to the
Mercato Nuovo (New Market), which is a big gazebo where leather merchants set
up their wares. We were able to get some more leather for a god price there.
But the market isn’t the only attraction there. Also in the market is the Porcellino, which translates to “little
pig.” Ironically, the statue is not a little pig at all, but rather, it is a
brass statue of wild boar. The legend of the statue is that if you put a coin
in the boar’s mouth and it falls through the grate below, it means that you’ll
return to Florence someday. So I rubbed the boar’s nose and put my coin in his
mouth. The coin fell through, which is good for me, because I know that I want
to go back to Florence again one day.
| Living Room in Casa Guidi |
By then, it was around 3:00, so we decided to take a little
literary expedition and visit Casa Guidi, where Robert and Elizabeth Barret
Browning lived. The Brownings were two English poets. Their story is that
Robert wrote Elizabeth letters and eventually, they eloped. They left England
amidst scandal and ended up in Florence after a honeymoon trip through France
and northern Italy. I don’t know much about the Browning, but I’ve read some of
their poems in classes, so it was really cool to see the house where they lived
and the area that inspired a lot of their work.
After Casa Guidi, we decided to head back to Signa because
we felt that we had seen a good portion of Florence. Plus, it was hot, our feet
hurt, and we were exhausted. We just ate dinner around the corner from the
hotel before turning in.
No comments:
Post a Comment