Thursday, 7 June 2012

When it rains, it pours . . . And I’m not talking about the weather.


And on the note of weather, the heat wave is over. Lately, it’s been chilly and rainy – stereotypical London weather.

But I’m not really talking about the weather specifically. It’s been over a week since I’ve last posted, and boy has a lot happened. The beginning of my week (Monday-Wednesday, 28 May – 30 May) was very relaxed. I didn’t do much of anything outside of school – I read and did homework and walked through the park, but that was about it.

But then, Thursday, the beginning of my weekend hit, and that’s when my relaxing week disappeared. This weekend was a five-day weekend because of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – in addition to our normal weekend, Monday and Tuesday were bank holidays. But despite the fact that it’s been a long weekend, I haven’t gotten a break. The weekend has been spent enjoying things in and around London and celebrating the Queen’s sixty years in power.

Thursday, 31 May 2012
Hogwarts Castle
The first major event of my weekend was my visit to the Harry Potter studios in Leavesden. Immediately after class, we got on a train that took us out to Watford Junction, where we caught a bus to the studios. We ended up getting there about two hours early, and since the tour is so popular, we weren’t allowed in until a half hour prior to our ticket time. So, instead of just waiting around, we went into the gift shop and explored – even the set up of the gift shop was interesting, so it made me even more excited for the actual tour. Finally, our wait ended and we were herded into a large room where we watched an introductory video with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), and Emma Watson (Hermione Granger). Once the video was over, the screen lifted, revealing the doors to Hogwarts and through the door was the Great Hall. I don’t want to go into great detail of what I saw during the tour for two reasons: 1) it took me three hours to walk through the entire thing, and recounting the entire thing would take pages upon pages; 2) I don’t want to spoil the experience for anyone who might want to go in the future. But I will say that all the major sets (the Great Hall, the Gryffindor Common Room, Dumbledore’s office, the Potions classroom, etc.) were all included. Just being able to stand mere feet from where the Harry Potter series was filmed was overwhelming – I can’t put into words how awesome it is to see things that I’ve only seen on screen. I was so overwhelmed with everything around me that I almost started crying with happiness.

Friday, 1 June 2012
Canterbury Cathedral
Friday was a big day full of train rides, walking, and hiking. In the morning, our group met to go to Canterbury, and before anyone makes the joke, no, we did not tell tales on our way there (in fact, most of us slept on the train). Canterbury Cathedral is absolutely awe-inspiring. The medieval architecture is gorgeous, full of arches and stained glass. I couldn’t help just stopping in my tracks to take pictures (which can’t do the beauty of the cathedral justice) and admire the church and pray. I can’t really explain the emotions I had walking through the cathedral - the best I can do is to say I was overwhelmed.
The White Cliffs of Dover

After Canterbury, a few of us took a short train ride to Dover, which is on the coast of England, to see the White Cliffs of Dover. Once there, we walked/hiked for close to an hour to get to the cliffs. Normally, I don’t really like walking for long periods of time, but in this case, it was worth it. We hiked all the way up to the top of the cliffs, and from there, we could look across the English Channel and see a good portion of the cliffs. The view was absolutely stunning – the cliffs are magnificent.


Saturday, 2 June 2012
Tea
Saturday was a pretty relaxing day. We slept in for a bit (I finally got to sleep past 8:00!) before heading out to Camden Market. The best way to describe Camden Market is like Chinatown – it’s a bunch of little shops with everything from jewelry and clothing to cheap souvenirs. It’s definitely a place I’ll go back to at the end of my stay here to get souvenirs. After Camden, we just walked around the city for a little bit and stopped in a café for some crepes and tea. Finally, we went grocery shopping to get food for our picnic the next day.



Sunday, 3 June 2012
The Queen on Her Royal Barge
Sunday was an interesting day. We went to the Thames River Pageant, which was the first big event of the Queen’s Jubilee celebration. We left the college around 11:00 and headed down to Temple Park, which is right next to the River. There were already a ton of people there, so we just sat down where we could find space – it must have been a sight seeing fourteen American college students just camped out in the middle of the street because several people took pictures of us. Unfortunately, it was rainy and cold, so our picnic wasn’t the best, but it was still fun sitting out with thousands of other people who were just as excited as we were. We watched the whole thing on big screens that were placed all around the park – the boats were absolutely awe-inspiring and the Royal Family was stunning, as usual.

Monday, 4 June 2012
High Tea
Monday was another relaxing day. In the afternoon, we went to high tea at Topham's Hotel. We got all dressed up and went to the hotel where we were served champagne, finger sandwiches, little desserts, and tea. It was delicious! And it was cool to have a quintessential English experience. After tea, we went to Hyde Park to get spots to watch the Jubilee concert. The concert itself was entertaining – it was dedicated to sixty years of music during the Queen’s reign. It included artists such as Will.i.am, Elton John, Paul McCartney, and Stevie Wonder. After the concert, Prince Charles gave a speech in honor of the Queen which was followed by a firework display over Buckingham Palace. 



Tuesday, 5 June 2012
The Queen, Camilla, and Prince Charles
Tuesday was far and away my favorite day of the Jubilee celebrations, which was the Carriage Procession from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace. The night before, I got home from the concert around midnight and finally got to bed around one and then I woke up at six ‘o clock in the morning to go stake my claim on a spot to watch the Procession. I bundled up in long sleeved shirts and jackets, packed a backpack with a blanket and a book, and headed to the Tube. From Baker Street, I took a Tube to Trafalgar Square and walked from there to the Admiralty Arch, which separates the Mall from the Square. There, I stood in a queue for about fifteen minutes until the police removed the barricades and let us into the Mall. I rushed through the crowd to find an open spot up against a barricade so I could see over the crowds. I spread out my mats and my blankets and sat down, my spot claimed around 7:30. And then I waited. But while I waited, I made friends with some nice British people and Australian people. It was interesting to hear their viewpoints on the monarchy and what they thought of Princess Diana. Also, one of the British people, once he found out I was from Tennessee, he told me I sounded like Dolly Parton – I definitely don’t agree, but it was quite funny! During the wait, the service at St. Paul’s Cathedral was broadcast over the loudspeakers, and following the service, we were entertained by cavalry and bands. Finally, after nearly seven hours of waiting, the procession finally started. There were lots of horses followed by two carriages, one with the Queen, Prince Charles, and Camilla and the other with Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry. I can’t believe that I got to see the Royal Family with my own eyes! Despite the lack of sleep, the cold, and the long wait, it was definitely worth everything to see the Queen. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. 

Kate, Prince William, and Prince Harry

I’m really going to try to keep up with this blog from now on (since I’ve been here for three weeks and I’ve written as many posts). And on that note, I’m off. This weekend, we’re going to Stonehenge and then Paris, so I’ll have lots of exciting stories to share on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment